Improve your quality of life with TMJ therapy options
If you have been diagnosed with TMJ, you know how painful and inconvenient it can be. When you have headaches, jaw lock, and constant popping of the jaw joint, it can affect your everyday life. Dr. Chris Elliott of Weatherford, Texas, is a dentist who provides comprehensive dental care, including advice and treatment options for patients diagnosed with the temporomandibular joint disorder. Understanding the condition and effective ways of treating it can dramatically improve your quality of life!
Understanding temporomandibular joint disorder
The temporomandibular joint (TMJ) is the joint that connects your upper and lower jawbone to your skull. This particular joint allows you to both open and close the jaw up and down, side to side, to talk, chew, and yawn. When this joint becomes inflamed or damaged, it can cause a wide range of symptoms, including:
- Jaw pain
- Shoulder pain
- Ear pain
- Clicking or popping when moving your jaw
- Difficulty opening or closing your mouth
What conditions can lead to an increased risk of developing TMJ/TMD?
Many different factors can contribute to TMJ disorder, including:
- Arthritis – This is a common cause of TMJ disorder in older adults. When the cartilage that essentially cushions the joint wears down, it can cause pain and stiffness.
- Dislocation – If the TMJ is dislocated, it can cause pain and clicking sounds when you move your jaw. This is typically caused by an injury to the joint.
- Teeth grinding (bruxism) – This is a common habit that many people are unaware of. Grinding your teeth causes a lot of pressure on the TMJ, which can lead to inflammation and pain.
What can be done for TMJ/TMD pain relief?
There are various ways to find relief from TMJ/TMD. These include:
- Pain relief massage
- TMJ splints or mouthguards
- Jaw exercises
- Dietary changes
- Neuromodulator injections
- Surgical intervention
Dr. Chris Elliott can help! Learn more about TMJ pain relief options
If you are seeking a way to experience pain relief from TMJ/TMD, contact Dr. Elliott of Weatherford Advanced Dentistry to discuss your options. Call (817) 609-4311 to book an appointment at 181 East BB Fielder Road, Suite #200, Weatherford, TX.